Venue: Council Chamber, Maldon District Council Offices, Princes Road, Maldon. View directions
Contact: Committee Services Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chairman welcomed everyone present and went through some general housekeeping arrangements for the meeting.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Miss A M Beale, C Mayes and Mrs J C Stilts.
To confirm the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 27 January 2022 (copy enclosed).
RESOLVED by assent that the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 27 January 2022 be approved and confirmed.
Disclosure of Interest
To disclose the existence and nature of any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests, other Pecuniary Interests or Non-Pecuniary Interests relating to items of business on the agenda having regard to paragraphs 6-8 inclusive of the Code of Conduct for Members.
(Members are reminded that they are also required to disclose any such interests as soon as they become aware should the need arise throughout the meeting).
Councillor N G F Shaughnessy declared a non-pecuniary interest as a resident of Lodge Road which was parallel to the road the proposed application was located.
To consider the report of the Director of Service Delivery, (copy enclosed, Members’ Update to be circulated)*.
Following the Officer’s presentation, the Agent, Mr. Ransome addressed the Committee. The Chairman then opened the debate and deferred to Councillor Shaughnessy for comment as she had called-in the application.
Councillor Shaughnessy raised concerns regarding the detrimental impact on the character of the surrounding area, the negative effect on nearby heritage assets and the potential overbearing result on both the site and the street scene.
A lengthy debate ensued around the aforementioned issues and in addition the concern regarding the lack of archaeological conditions given the location of the site which the Committee felt required investigation. The Senior Specialist Co-Ordinator: Development Management advised that Place Services at Essex County Council had not flagged this as an issue, therefore, it was reasonable to assume that the site was not in an archaeological sensitive area.
Following the discussion, the Chairman put the duly seconded Officer’s recommendation to the Committee. There being an equality of votes he exercised his casting vote and the Officers’ s recommendation was lost.
The Chairman then put Councillor Heard’s duly seconded proposal to refuse the application contrary to the Officer’s recommendation, due to the negative visual impact on the character and appearance of the area and the surrounding heritage assets to the Committee. This was carried and the application was refused.
RESOLVED that the application be REFUSED for the following reason:
1. The negative visual impact on the character and appearance of the area and surrounding heritage assets - PP6.
To consider the report of the Director of Service Delivery (copy enclosed, Members’ Update to be circulated)*.
Following the Officer’s presentation, the Chairman opened the debate.
A discussion ensued where both the interior and the exterior of the building was discussed. Members were heartened by the fact that the original facia was being maintained with its original police signage. Concern was expressed regarding the demolition of the cells resulting in loss of the integral story of the building. Members agreed that it would be appropriate to include a condition with the Officer’s recommendation of approval that prior to implementation of the works a record be taken of the layout and historic fabric within the building.
The Chairman then put the officer’s recommendation to approve the application, together with the aforementioned condition delegated to officers in consultation with the Chairman, to the Committee and the application was approved by assent.
RESOLVED that the application be APPROVED subject to the following conditions to include the additional condition discussed above:
1. The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
2. The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the following approved plans:1912-100, 879-EDN-MH-GA02A Proposed Ground Floor Plan, 879-EDN-MH-GA02 Proposed First Floor Plan, 236A-1-000, 236A-G/236-OB-000, 1912-300, 1912-220 and 1912-301.
3. Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 3 of the Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (or any Order amending, revoking or re-enacting that Order), premises shall only be used for purposes falling within Use Class E(g)(i) of the Schedule to the Town & Country Planning Use Classes and for no other purpose.
4. All loading / unloading / reception and storage of building materials and the manoeuvring of all vehicles, including construction traffic shall be undertaken within the application site, clear of the public highway.
5. Prior to first beneficial use of the development, the cycle parking shall be provided in accordance with the details contained on plan reference 879-EDN-MH-GA02A Proposed Ground Floor Plan and the details contained within the document titled ‘Specifications for Secure and Covered Cycle Parking’. The approved facility shall be secure, convenient, covered and retained at all times.
6 The hours of operation of the, E(g)(i) unit hereby permitted shall be:
· Monday to Friday - 0830 hours until 1730 hours
· Saturday – No operation
· Sundays and Bank holidays - No Operation
7. No extraction or ventilation equipment shall be installed or fitted to any part of the building except in accordance with a scheme to be submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority. The scheme as approved and installed shall be retained as such thereafter.
Appointment of Vice-Chairman
To appoint a Vice-Chairman of the Committee for the remainder of the municipal year.
The Chairman introduced this item and from the chair nominated Councillor B B Heubner. This was seconded by Councillor S P Nunn. Councillor M S Heard then nominated Councillor N G F Shaughnessy and this was seconded by Councillor M R Edwards.
The Chairman called for a recorded vote, this was seconded by Councillor S P Nunn and the results were as follows:-
For Councillor B B Heubner
Councillors B B Heubner, K M H Lagan and S P Nunn.
For Councillor N G F Shaughnessy
Councillors M R Edwards, M S Heard, N G F Shaughnessy and C Swain.
RESOLVED that Councillor N G F Shaughnessy was appointed Vice-Chairman of the Central Area Planning Committee for the remainder of the municipal year.