Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor W Stamp, Leader of the Council (the Leader) made a statement (attached at APPENDIX 1 to these Minutes) setting out the Council’s report and programme for the remainder of the municipal year. The statement referred to a number of areas, including:
· the updated Corporate Plan;
· commitment to climate action;
· supporting businesses;
· building the excellent partnerships the Council had and working with the community;
· the Local Development Plan review.
The Leader thanked Officers for their hard work through the pandemic, all members of the Independent Group for their support and referred to the continued work with all Political Parties and Groups in the future. She finished presentation of her statement to the Council advising of her sincere belief and a determination to do the right thing for the Maldon District.
In her response to the statement from the Leader of the Council, the Leader of the Opposition, Councillor Mrs P A Channer referred to the current pandemic extending heartfelt sympathies to all who had lost friends and loved ones, praised the NHS and the vaccination programme and raised concerns regarding mental health and the longer term impact. She commented on other aspects of the Leaders’ speech including:
· how it was important to ensure that residents shared their views with the Council and Councillor Mrs Channer suggested that a consultation could be a way forward to capture this information.
· Corporate Plan – Councillor Mrs Channer agreed with the Leader on the work of the communities during the pandemic across a number of areas and felt the Council had responsibilities to continue to take this forward.
· Climate Action – She commented on the Council’s passion in relation to this topic and the involvement of young people. It was important for the Council to review all opportunities to take steps towards being carbon net zero and working across organisations to establish a framework for climate emergencies and biodiversity loss.
· Maldon District Investment prospectus – She referred to how the Covid Reset and Recovery Group were looking into this and ensuring that businesses and other areas were supported, giving strength back to the District as it came out of the pandemic.
· Maldon One District was one of the initiatives the Council was working on and highlighted the excellent partnership it had with other organisations. A number of initiatives had come forward during the pandemic and had helped engagement, resources and delivery of outcomes.
· The Council through the Local Development Plan Review would be able to ensure it had everything the District required without compromising its beauty.
· Councillor Mrs Channer offered her thanks to all staff and how the Council would had not been able to keep the level of services without their innovative thinking, energy, responsibilities and accountabilities. She referred to the importance of challenge and democracy with the best intentions for the District.
The Leader of the Council thanked the Leader of the Opposition for her comments.
Publication date: 14/07/2021
Date of decision: 30/06/2021
Decided at meeting: 30/06/2021 - Council