Decision Maker: Strategy and Resources Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Strategy, Performance and Governance, updating the following policies and seeking their adoption. It was noted that the introduction of these policies would provide clear policy requirements as well as meeting the requirements of a recent internal network security audit recommendation.
· ICT Acceptable Use (attached as Appendix 1 to the report);
· Email and Communications (Appendix 2 to the report);
· Information Security (Appendix 3 to the report).
The Lead Specialist: ICT Infrastructure advised that since the Strategy and Resources Committee meeting in October Officers had revised the ICT Acceptable Use and Email & Communications Policies to include additional statements regarding Members.
The Chairman moved the recommendations as set out in the report. This was duly seconded.
It was noted that this should be a recommendation to the Council for approval of the policies.
During the discussion that ensued, the Senior Specialist: Legal provided further guidance in response to queries raised regarding the policies proposed. It was agreed that the following amendments would be made to both the Email and Communications and ICT Acceptable Use policies:
· Email and Communications Policy: Add to the end of the paragraph ‘Human Rights Act 1988’ on page 4 of this document “Emails are only accessed where this legal justification can be met”.
· ICT Acceptable Use Policy: Add to the paragraph ‘Monitoring’ on page 2 of this document “An individual will be advised of any access to their emails within 20 working days, except in circumstance where this would prejudice the grounds on which access was granted.”
RECOMMENDED that subject to the above amendments, the following policies which set out the security requirements that all staff and Members must adhere to when using Maldon IT systems to ensure data security and appropriate use, be reviewed and agreed:
· ICT Acceptable Use (attached as APPENDIX 1 to these Minutes);
· Email and Communications (APPENDIX 2 to these Minutes);
· Information Security (APPENDIX 3 to these Minutes).
Councillor N J Skeens joined the meeting during this item of business.
Publication date: 09/12/2020
Date of decision: 24/11/2020
Decided at meeting: 24/11/2020 - Strategy and Resources Committee