Agenda and minutes

Finance and Corporate Services Committee - Tuesday 16th April 2019 7.30 pm

Venue: Council Chamber. Maldon District Council Offices, Princes Road, Maldon. View directions

Contact: Committee Services 

Items
No. Item

2055.

Chairman's notices

Minutes:

The Chairman drew attention to the list of notices published on the back of the agenda.

2056.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors I E Dobson and Mrs M E Thompson.

 

In accordance with notice duly given Councillor R G Boyce was attending as a substitute for Councillor Dobson.

2057.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 8 MB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting of the Finance and Corporate Services Committee held on 12 March 2019 (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 12 March 2019 be approved and confirmed.

2058.

Disclosure of Interest

To disclose the existence and nature of any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests, other Pecuniary Interests or Non-Pecuniary Interests relating to items of business on the agenda having regard to paragraphs 6-8 inclusive of the Code of Conduct for Members.

 

(Members are reminded that they are also required to disclose any such interests as soon as they become aware should the need arise throughout the meeting).

 

Minutes:

There were none.

2059.

Public Participation

To receive the views of members of the public on items of business to be considered by the Committee (please see below):

1.               A period of ten minutes will be set aside.

2.               An individual may speak for no more than two minutes and will not be allowed to distribute or display papers, plans, photographs or other materials.

3.               Anyone wishing to speak must notify the Committee Clerk between 7.00pm and 7.20pm prior to the start of the meeting.

 

Minutes:

No requests had been received.

2060.

Corporate Health and Safety pdf icon PDF 225 KB

To receive the report of the Director of Resources, (copy enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee received the report of the Director of Resources detailing Corporate Health and Safety activity for Quarter Four (1 January to 31 March 2019).  A summary by Directorate and a description of the reported incidents and near misses were set out in the report.

 

Appendix 1 to the report provided details of progress with the Health and Safety Action Plan for 2018 / 19.

 

The Health and Safety Action Plan 2019 / 20 was attached at Appendix 2 to the report.  It was noted that some work had been rolled over from the 2018 / 19 Action Plan to take account of the future model.

 

It was noted that there had been five reported accidents, one near miss and two incidents of unacceptable behaviour reported during this quarter.  Members were advised that following a request from the Health and Safety Executive information had been supplied to them relating to the Council’s management of Hand Arm Vibration within the Parks Department.  The report detailed a number of roles with Health and Safety responsibilities where there were vacancies following staff leaving the organisation and Members were advised that nominated replacements for these roles would be sought and training provided as appropriate.

 

Councillor A S Fluker proposed that the Committee accept the recommendations as set out in the report.

 

In response to a question regarding the two incidents of unacceptable behaviour, the Director of Service Delivery agreed to provide details of these to Members outside of the meeting.

 

RESOLVED

 

(i)              That the accident and incident statistics for Quarter Four be noted;

 

(ii)            That progress with the Health and Safety Action Plan 2018 / 19 be noted;

 

(iii)          That the Health and Safety Action Plan 2019 / 20 be agreed.

2061.

Supplementary Estimates, Virements and Use of Reserves: 5 February - 20 March 2019 pdf icon PDF 223 KB

To consider the report of the Director of Resources, (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Resources, reporting virements and supplementary estimates agreed under delegated powers and procurement exemptions granted.

 

Members were advised that there had been two procurement exemptions approved during the period 5 February – 20 March 2019 and these related to:

·                 Purchase of additional winter car parking material at Promenade Park (£19,100);

 

·                 Purchase of sanitary ware for the refurbishment of the gentlemen’s toilets at Promenade Park (£9,000).

 

There were no supplementary estimates, virements or drawback on reserves to report for this period.

 

In response to a question regarding reference to Chief Executive in the report, Members were advised that this would be updated accordingly.

 

RESOLVED that the procurement exemptions detailed in the report be noted.

2062.

Introduction of a Charge for a Section of the Maldon District Council Office Car Park pdf icon PDF 204 KB

To consider the report of the Director of Service Delivery, (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Service Delivery updating them on the introduction of a parking charge for a section of the Council’s car park at Princes Road.  The report sought delegated authority to introduce charges at this location following consultation.

 

The report reminded Members of the decision by this Committee in November 2018 to introduce charges in the current visitor car park at Maldon District Council Offices and for a formal consultation to be undertaken.  The consultation had since commenced and was due to conclude on 6 June 2019.  Members were informed that following completion of the consultation exercise and having considered responses a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) would be created and charges introduced.

 

The Director of Service Delivery advised of an amendment to recommendation (i) so that it read “…introduction of a charge to a section…”.  This amendment was duly agreed.

 

RESOLVED

 

(i)              That the commencement of a consultation on the introduction of a charge to a section of the Council’s car park at Princes Road be noted;

 

(ii)            That the Director of Resources in consultation with the Chairman or Vice-Chairman of the Finance and Corporate Services Committee be given delegated authority to respond to consultation responses and implement the parking scheme at the site in Princes Road, Maldon.

2063.

Any Other Items of Business

Minutes:

At this point Councillor A S Fluker, Leader of the Council, thanked Councillor D M Sismey, Chairman of the Finance and Corporate Services Committee, for all his hard work chairing the Committee and wished him well as he left the authority.  In response Councillor Sismey thanked Councillor Fluker and wished the Council well in the future.

2064.

Exclusion of the Public and Press

To resolve that under Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act, and that this satisfies the public interest test.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that under Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act, and that this satisfies the public interest test.

2065.

Renewal of Lease Burnham-on-Crouch

To consider the report of the Director of Resources, (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Resources seeking Members’ consideration of a request not to increase the rent of a site in Burnham-on-Crouch in line with District Valuer’s recommendations.

 

Members were reminded that in order to comply with the Local Government Act of 1972 the Council was required to obtain best value for any lease transactions it undertook.  To satisfy this requirement, the District Valuer was engaged by the Council to provide an independent valuation.

 

The report provided background information regarding the rent charged for a site in Burnham-on-Crouch and the recent Valuation Office proposal for an increase in rent.  In response to this the organisation currently using the site had provided several reasons against the proposed increase and these were set out in Appendix 1 to the report. 

 

RESOLVED that rent charged to the Burnham-on-Crouch Golf Club is increased in line with the valuation provided by the District Valuer.