To consider the report of the Director of Resources.
The Committee received the report of the Director of Resources confirming the Committee’s Work Programme for 2018 / 19, attached as Appendix 1 to the report.
Councillor M S Heard declared a non-pecuniary interest in this item of business as he was employed by the Essex Police Authority.
The Director of Resources went through each item detailed on the 2018 / 19 programme of work and provided Members with an update in respect of the scrutiny items. In response to a number of questions the following information was provided:
· Provision of Healthcare Services including the recruitment and retention of GPs - A Member raised concern that the word ‘invite’ within the scope of the scrutiny was incorrect and should be changed to refer to invitation.
· Monitoring of the Organisational Change Programme – It was noted that at the next meeting of this Committee there would be an update from the Gateway Review suggesting that the Council was ready for a piece of work and ready to do some further scrutiny on this.
Review of Fire and Rescue Service provision in the Dengie - The
Director of Resources advised that if an acknowledgement to the
letter sent by the Council to the Select Committee had not been
acknowledged by Friday 11 January 2019 Officers would write to them
The Director of Service Delivery advised that the letter was sent to the Select Committee on 14 / 15 December 2018 with a copy only recently being sent to the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC). Members were informed that in response to a press enquiry the Chairman of this Committee had issued a statement highlighting the issue of the non-attendance by the PFCC to a meeting of this Committee.
· Dealing with Waste Water - Councillor Miss S White provided an update in respect of Anglian Water and its proposal to increase sewage capacity in Latchingdon. At this point, Councillor S J Savage provided information regarding the need for a licence and public / press awareness when discharging into a river. This was noted by the Director of Resources.
· Jobcentre Plus - It was agreed that following the presentation by the Department for Work and Pensions at this meeting this item of scrutiny be removed from the 2018 / 19 Programme of Work.
RESOLVED that subject to the amendment, as detailed above, the contents of the report be noted.
To note the report of the Director of Resources (copy enclosed).
The Director of Resources presented the Committee with the 2018 / 19 Programme of Work, which provided Members with an update of the agreed scrutiny topics as shown at Appendix 1 of the report.
Provision of Healthcare Services – The Director of Resources advised that the CCG were
invited to the January 2019 meeting of the Committee.
Councillor N R Pudney provided an update from his latest meeting with the Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee (HOSC) which included the following information:
§ Across Essex, there is a shortfall of approximately 1400 General Practitioners (GPs). HOSC is working to resolve this.
§ The amalgamation of Braintree, Chelmsford and Southend Hospitals has been delayed.
§ Southend Hospital may lose their stroke unit.
§ The next HOSC meeting is scheduled for December 2018.
· Section 106 Update - an update will come back to this Committee at the 10 April 2019 meeting.
· Internal and External Communication – this has been incorporated into the Monitoring of the Organisational Change Programme.
· Monitoring of the Organisational Change Programme - In response to questions, the following information was confirmed:
§ Members signed off the Council restructure as part of the Future Model at Council on 9 August 2018 (minute 339 - Business Case: Full Council Transformation);
§ Phase One is due to be implemented by February 2019;
§ Phase Two is due to be implemented October 2019;
§ Members are included in the staff updates on the Future Model progress;
§ As part of the Future Model, Windows 10 will be rolled out to all staff and Members.
· Review of Fire and Rescue Service provision in the Dengie – The Director of Service Delivery acknowledged Members frustration and confirmed that Officers were in the process of organising a briefing for Members with the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner outside of this committee.
· Dealing with Waste Water - The Director of Resources confirmed that a meeting with Anglian Water had been arranged and a report would be provided to a future meeting of this Committee.
· Provision of Tourist Information Centres in the District - The Committee was informed that a meeting on Tourist Information Centres had been included in the scope of the Future Model review. Suggestions from Members were included as options for consideration in the service review.
· Jobcentre Plus – Representatives from the Jobcentre Plus will be attending the 9 January 2019 meeting.
· Waste Contract – Reliability of the Contractor Vehicles - The Director of Resources suggested the removal of this item from the Programme of Work following helpful discussions with SUEZ. Members requested that this item remained on the Programme of Work to allow for monitoring.
· Provision of a Crematorium within the District - The Committee requested this was added to the Programme of Work as an item of interest and requested updates on the business case.
that the contents of the report be
(ii) that the actions detailed above be actioned.